Monday, October 4, 2010

Autumn Chili

Brrrr.  A chilly autumn day, a bit gloomy out.  I know what I want.  Something warm and hearty.  A bowl of chili perhaps.  Chili is a wonderful one pot meal.  A little chopping and you have a warm delicious healthy meal.  This chili I switched up a little bit from what I usually do.  I used white meat ground chicken and added rustic cauliflower for added depth and nutrition.  It turned out perfectly and my husband said that the picture didn't do this justice it was so good.  So, I guess this one is a keeper.  I made a rustic whole wheat bread to dip into it.  This was one great dish.

Autumn Chili

1 1b ground chicken or turkey
2 carrots
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 medium bell pepper
1 stalk celery chopped
1 small head of cauliflower chopped small

Saute above in a little olive oil till cooked down a bit (about 10 minutes)

Add

1/2 C wine or beer (you can also use chicken or beef stock)
1 28 can diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans (or whatever bean you like)
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp or less cayenne pepper
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro or parsaly (optional)

Turn down heat and simmer for about 1 hour.  You can also do this in your handy crock pot.  Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours.

I hope you try this one, it really is good and so healthy and low calorie.  You can serve with tortilla chips or with some brown rice !!

Today's tip:  Try to add some unexpected veggies to your everyday recipes.  It will go further therefore making the dish cheaper to make and will add loads of vitamins and minerals to your dish!

Blessings,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment