Friday, October 1, 2010

Whole Wheat Penne with Spinach, Eggplant, and Mozzarella Cheese


This has to be one of the easiest meals I have ever prepared.  I wasn't much in the cooking mood so I took inventory of what I had on hand.  There are only a few ingriedients:  Whole wheat penne pasta, fresh spinach, eggplant, and mozzarella cheese... and a little extra virgin olive oil to bring it together.  It is so healthy especially using the whole wheat pasta.  I know most people will say they don't like whole wheat pasta and I totally get it.  I have never liked it either, but the whole wheat has so much more vitamins and fiber than the white stuff.  The whole wheat is very earthy tasting and great for a quick autumn dish.

Recipe:
1 lb whole wheat pasta (any shape you like)
1 package fresh spinach.
1 cup mozzarella cut in chunks
1 eggplant peeled cubed and roasted. (you can omit this to make it even easier, but I love eggplant)

Cook pasta according to package, save about 1 cup of the pasta water.
Drain pasta and put back in the same pot.  Add spinach, mozzarella chunks, eggplant and the 1 C of pasta water.  Drizzle with the olive oil.  Salt and pepper to taste and then shave some parmesan cheese on the top.

That's it !!!  Simple, delicious and healthy.

Today's tip is try the whole wheat pasta over the white.  It does have a totally different taste and texture.  Try it you just may like it.

Blessings,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment