Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty's Day Muffins







Happy St. Patricks Day to all.  Even though I am 100% Italian, I still like to celebrate the little holiday.  If you look into St Patrick he was a great man of God.  So, today I am making my usual corned beef and cabbage with red potatoes for supper.  For dessert I thought I would try something new.  I switched up my blueberry muffin recipe to make it a St. Patty's Day sour cream muffin.  I like to play around with ingredients so I thought I would give it a try.  Well, interestingly enough they taste good, really good and they are healthy.  I did use some real sugar, but cut it down to 1/2 cup and replaced some with 1/4 cup agave syrup.  I used white wheat flour and if you think I got the green color from food coloring you are wrong!!  I blended up some frozen spinach with the sour cream and egg for the green color!  How great is that?  Shhhh... don't tell the kiddos though. 

Here is the recipe:
1 1/2 C white wheat flour
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C agave syrup (you can get this at any supermarket nowadays)
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 C sour cream or you can use plain yogurt
1 egg beaten
I used about a Tbsp milk to thin out the sour cream a bit, you may or may not need it.
1/4 - 1/3 C frozen (or fresh) spinach shhhh don't tell.

Preheat oven to 400
Combine all dry ingredients and agave.  In a blender or a food processor blend the egg, sour cream and spinach.  I used a magic bullet blender.  Add this mixture to the dry ingredients.  Mix until just blended.  Don't over mix.
Fill muffin tins.  I also sprinkled some sugar on top. 
Bake for 18-20 minutes until done.
It made 11 muffins for me.  But figure around 10.

By the way, you CANNOT taste the spinach at all !!!

Today's tip:  Sneak hidden fruits and veggies in your foods.  You will get added color and nutrition.

Blessings,

Trish


                                                                     Very moist !!

No comments:

Post a Comment