Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How Much Does Healthy Eating Cost?

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/11/16/pm-how-much-does-healthy-eating-cost/

How much does healthy eating cost?  Although I don't think the cost of the healthy meal in this article is totally accurate, it does give us an idea of what healthier options cost.  Yes, healthy foods cost more on average than non healthy foods.  You can get candy bars most places for 50 cents or sometimes even 3 for $1.00 and one single organic apple can cost up to $2.00!  I know because I buy them for a snack when I am out shopping.

I used to always go for the cheaper option... every time.  But, as I learn more about foods, how they are made, what they are made with, how they are packaged etc.. I usually never go for the cheapest option, but the one most nutritionally sound.  Take for instance a loaf of bread.  Sure you can go to any supermarket and find their brand bread for 99 cents or less.  You may even opt for their wheat bread.  If you just look at the ingredients you will quickly see that there are over 30 things listed and probably high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils in it.  The wheat bread IS NOT 100% whole wheat.  It is enriched which means they strip out the good stuff and then replace it with artificial ingredients... thus the long list.  Plus have you ever bought a loaf of bread and notice it lasts like 2 weeks without getting stale?  When I make a loaf of homemade bread it lasts one day... that's it.  If you check the other breads that cost $2.50 to even $3.50 a loaf you hopefully will find 100% whole wheat, nuts, seeds, oats, other grains, no added sugars.  You will pay more for this bread but in the end it will be worth it for your overall health.

If you don't believe me about junk food being cheaper... check out all the fast food places.  I could feed my family of 5 at one of these restaurants for less than $20 easily.  I could probably for under $15.  Where can you feed a family of 5 for that price?  It is sad that I can go and feed them burgers, fries, fried chicken, ice cream and soda for that price yet a healthy meal would be at least double maybe even triple that price.

I know it is much easier and cheaper to just go through the drive through and grab something off the dollar menu.  Trust me I have done it with my kids.  I am the queen of trying to stretch my dollar, but I am learning that you cannot put a cost on good health.  So each day I try to make healthier choices little by little and I hope you will too.

Today's tip:  Try to make one healthier choice today when you have a meal.  One healthier choice leads to another and another.

Blessings,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment