Tuesday, November 30, 2010

One of my not so new favorites...

Some people have been asking me about carbohydrates and which ones are good.  I have written before that if you choose whole grains over white ones that is your best choice.  One thing that I didn't mention is one of my favorite grains quinoa pronounced (keen wah). Even though technically it is not a grain it is a actually the seed of a leafy plant related to spinach.  How about that?  It really is a cool little grain..seed.

Quiona is high in protein and includes all the nine essential amino acids. It is the choice of grains for vegans and vegetarians, as it helps them take in the adequate amount of protein, required in a healthful diet. It contains lysine, an amino acid that is very important for the growth of tissues and tissue repair. It has slow releasing, high level of carbohydrates, that give the stomach a full feeling for a long time.  Plus it tastes great.  It is like cous cous but way more healthy for you.  It cooks up in only 10 minutes !! 

You can eat it for breakfast like oatmeal, or use it in cold or hot salads.  You can mix in beans, roasted vegetables, cucumbers, cheese., nuts.  This really is a versatile little grain..I mean seed.

Today's tip is to try this little seed called quinoa.  You can use it in place of pasta or rice.  Here is what i like to do with it.

Cook according to directions, which is 1 Cup quinoa to 2 cups water.
After it is done, fluff it like rice and then add the following

1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 C walnuts or any nuts you like
1/2 C grape tomatoes
1/2 C feta cheese
1 cucumber
some fresh parsley, dill or basil
salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all this and let sit for a while in the refrigerator and enjoy cold or at room temp.
This is a delicious and healthy side dish, main dish or salad.

Blessings,

Trish

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trish, I found you!! Very nice blog.

    I am not familiar with quinoa. Where do you purchase this seed. I am mostly doing a high fiber diet with fresh fruits and vegetables. I lost one dress size and it was painless this way. As you know high fiber keeps the feeling of being hungry away longer. Salads are one of my favorites foods and the one you posted in your blog sounds very good. Are you able to find fresh dill or do you use dried? It is one of my favorites after garlic.

    I have started using sea salt, do you know if it is better to use instead of the regular table salt?


    God bless you,
    Nancy Eastin

    ReplyDelete