Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My favorite time of year... and my favorite fruit

Well, this time of year means crisp weather, falling leaves, cozy feelings, and my all time favorite fruit:  The Pomegranate.  I have always loved this simple fruit.  I think that it is so special because you can only get it mid October through the end of December.  It is such a limited season that when they are available I buy a whole bunch of them.  Yesterday I found them on sale for 79 cents each so I bought 8 of them!!  I couldn't resist.  On the outside they don't look like much.  On the inside they have these deep crimson jewels called arils.  These are the part you eat.  They are much like seeds with a juicy outer coating.  They are tart yet sweet and so delicious.  The best part is they are so so so wonderfully healthy for you.  They are a good source of vitamin C and potassium and a good source of fiber and low in calories.  So this is a wonderful snack that is super healthy for you. 

You can also buy pomegranate juice in the juice section of the grocery store.  It is really healthy but really expensive.  Single pomegranates will run anywhere from $1.00 up to $3.00.  The best way to eat them is to get a bowl of water and cut the pomegranate in half and then under the water break the fruit apart and take out the arils.  The white pith will float and the arils will sink.  Drain off the white pith and the water and enjoy the arils plain or in yogurt, on salads etc. 

Today's tip is try something new like a pomegranate.  It is different and healthy and of course delicious.

Blessings,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment