Monday, January 31, 2011

Injury

Happy Monday everyone !!  My day started off with me dreading getting out of my bed.  Why is it Monday mornings my bed is just way more comfortable than any other day?  Oh well, after pulling myself up and coming down for my coffee, my oldest son has a 100.4 fever.  He has been sick off and on this weekend but this boy does not want to miss school, but he has too.. bummer.  So, I get the other 2 boys ready to go and when I get to the van it is totally dead.  I mean the electric doors won't even open.  Hubby has already left and I don't know what to do.  So, we call my Pastor... thanks Pastor for coming and jump starting the van so I could get the boys to school. 

So that is the start of my week.  Anyway, I wanted to write today about my little injury.  About 2 weeks ago I hurt my wrist.  What did I do you ask?  I have no idea.  I was getting ready to go out to dinner and bam....pain..that wouldn't go away.  So, after a week of not getting better I go to my local medical clinic to see the Physician Assistant there.  He takes an x ray and thank God there are no breaks but I have several torn ligaments in my wrist and I have to wear a brace for the next 6 weeks he says.  6 weeks... I can't use my wrist?  I can't lift weights or do my yoga??  He smiled and said if you don't baby it, this could be a 6 month or more recovery.  Ugh.....  not what I wanted to hear.  Did I also mention I am left handed and this is my left wrist.  So needless to say this has been really hard for the past 2 weeks....4 more weeks to go.  Everything I do from putting on my contacts to make up to pouring anything uses my left wrist.  I have tried to use my right hand and boy am I clumsy with that.  Try using your opposite hand... it's really awkward.

So now I have to adjust my exercise routines to not use my wrist.  This is not easy.  I refuse to stop exercising.  Not an option.  So, I am back to walking and jogging.  It seems simple enough except I hate jogging.  Walking I could do, but jogging.... ugh... it is torture.  I want to love it.  I want to be a runner.  But every time I think of doing it I dread it big time.  But last week I started doing it and in a week I lost 1.6 lbs.  So my total is 5.4 lbs.  I am getting back to my goal weight.  I am determined. (even though I went to the Chinese Buffet yesterday, hey gotta live a little)

So, my tip for today is when something happens, like an injury or something that stops you dead in your tracks, to stop where you are, pray and redirect.  Don't give up.  Don't stop.  Just redirect your energy somewhere else.  I may not be able to lift weights, but I can improve my mile run now by focusing on that while I am not using my wrist.  Let something positive come out of something negative.  It really is encouraging when you redirect something that is a big problem or negative into something new.

Blessings,

Trish
All things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called to His purpose. 
Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment