Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Healthy Cookie?

Who says you can't have your cookie and have it be healthy too?  I love cookies.  Usually I go for soft, chewy chocolate chip or peanut butter, but this time I thought why not a healthy cookie?  So I went to my Italian roots and found a recipe that I modified for a healthy biscotti. You know those wonderful crisp cookies that are wonderful dunked into a cup of hot strong coffee?  They are called biscotti because they are twice baked.  It does take a little time and patience, but it is well worth it.   All I can say is yum. 

Here is a picture of them.  How pretty are they?  So pretty, so delicious and dare I say yes so healthy.

Here is what I did:

2 cups whole wheat flour.  I used a mixture of whole wheat and white wheat
2 Tbsp flax seed meal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C raw sugar
1/3 C brown sugar
1 Tbsp chia seeds (these are a superfood, I get mine online, you can substitute flaxseeds, or just omit)
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 C mini chocolate chips (or regular)
1/3 C largely chopped walnuts (or almonds)
Mix dry ingredients.  In separate bowl mix wet ingredients.  Mix dry into the wet and stir.  Batter will be thick.  Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.

Make 3 6 inch rolls (log shape) and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Pat into 1 inch thickness.  Bake at 350 for 28 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Cool 10 min.  Slice logs into 1/2 inch slices on a diagonal.  Put back on the baking sheet.  Cook 7 min.  turn over and cook another 7 minutes.  Remove and cool on a wire rack.  ENJOY. 

Today's tip:  Go ahead... enjoy a cookie for breakfast.  A cookie like this that is healthy with whole grains, nuts and seeds.

Ciao Bella,

Patrizia

No comments:

Post a Comment