Thursday, February 2, 2012

Indian feast

Our Pastor is on a trip to India for 3 weeks. Last night we had a pot luck dinner at our church and the theme was India. So we were encouraged to make Indian foods in honor of our pastor being in India. Know that is one ethnic food that I rarely eat and never cook. I was a little nervous. So I got online and started looking up recipes. I'm not a curry fan, so that is a problem because every recipe has curry in it. So, I decided on basmati rice and Indian spiced potatoes.

Here are my Spiced Potatoes, they were yummy:




I also made naan bread. I figured with all the bread I make I could tackle it. So, I did.

Here's the dough:


And here is the finished product:




Oh my we're they tasty! They came out great. I think they were a success because they were gone by the end of the night.

Here is the recipe. It is a little time consuming, so I had Elijah help me with the rolling. He did great!

Preheat oven to 500. Put a pan in the oven to preheat as well.

In a kitchen aid mixer or by hand mix
2/3 C very warm milk
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
4 cups unbleached flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp oil or butter (the Indians use ghee which is a clarified butter, I just used butter melted)
2/3 C plain yogurt
1 egg

Knead this and let raise for at least an hour. I let mine rise overnight in the fridge.

Break off small pieces and shape into a ball and then roll out. You will need a good amount of flour to prevent sticking.

As you roll out place the flat dough on the preheated cookie sheet in the oven. Be careful...it is very hot.

Bake for about 3 minutes.

Enjoy! They are so good.

Today's tip: Try a recipe that you never made before! It may be Italian, Asian, Mexican...or American, but go ahead....give it a try.

Blessings,

Trish


No comments:

Post a Comment