Friday, April 27, 2012

CSA

CSA's....what is it?
Community Supported Agriculture

So being out here in the country one would think there would be an endless supply of fresh organic fruits and vegetables at my fingertips, right? Wrong. I have the worst time finding healthy foods out here in the country. I have no Trader Joes...(sigh) No Whole Foods, no Earthfare ...nothing. I have one corner of Krogers produce department to find organic fruits and vegetables.

So when I found out there is a local farm that has a CSA right here in my community, I was soooooo happy. So this morning Sweety and I went to the farm to check it out. How happy am I? Super thrilled!!!! They have so much stuff there, all naturally grown. They don't say organic because if they did they would have to pay the government mega bucks, but it's organic!

So I joined the CSA. For starters I began with a 1/4 share. I thought its small but that's ok, it's a start. Here is only about 1/2 of what I got. The other half I gave to my mom and some didn't make it in the picture because it's in the fridge...oh and we ate some for lunch.




What a generous amount! Kale, beets, lettuce, spinach, carrots, spring onions, and freshly picked strawberries! So yummy.

Here was my lunch! Fresh picked only hours before:




I have to say it was one of the tastiest salads I have eaten.

You can find a local CSA in your community by going to
Www.localharvest.com and put your zip code under CSA's and that's it!

So today's tip: try a local CSA! It supports your local farmer, it is so much fresher, and the foods are seasonal and taste better!

Blessings,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment