Thursday, April 12, 2012

Real food

So I have stumbled on a blog 100 days of real food. It is about a family who ate nothing processed, no sugar...just real food for 100 days. It seems impossible nowadays doesn't it? I mean with all the fast food, chicken (or not) nuggets, and pink slime in our meats..how can one possibly do it?

I feel that our family eats pretty healthy most of the time, but when I read this, I thought...do we really? We need to do better.

So what is real food? Well whole fruits and vegetables..whole grains..not white or processed, organic chickens and grass fed local meats, fresh eggs, boxed items with no more than 5 ingredients, organic dairy, not fat free or yellow stuff, organic popcorn, olive and coconut oils...and some other things. You can check out her blog at www.100daysofrealfood.com.

So I am going to try my best to eat more real foods. More whole grains..organic fruits and vegetables and local meats.

I started with some homemade whole wheat tortillas. They came out great!

5 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 c olive oil
1 tsp salt
Warm water..add till a ball forms.

Roll into small balls. Roll them out flat and cook in preheated pan until a little brown. It takes some time but so much better than store bought. Even the store bought whole wheat are not really whole grain...and check the list of ingredients. Some have like 50 ingredients!










I made some tacos with left overs from Easter. Mostly leftovers from this:



That was our antipasto appetizer from Easter dinner.

All real foods! Yay.

Today's tip: Try to eat real foods as much as possible.

Blessings,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment