Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Breakfast Burritos


This is what I made for my dear husband Scott for breakfast yesterday.  I thought I would bump up his favorite egg sandwich, so I did a breakfast burrito.  This really is a power breakfast and great for those on the go.  It has whole grain, protein and healthy fats.  He absolutely loved it.

All I did was start with a whole wheat tortilla.  I got these at my favorite store Trader Joes, but any whole wheat tortilla will do.  Make sure it is 100% whole wheat and not enriched wheat flour... there is a difference.

Next make your eggs.  I used one whole egg and one egg white, but you can use what you like. I cooked these eggs like a little omelet, but you can do them any way you like them.  While the eggs are cooking sprinkle a small amount of colby or cheddar cheese to the eggs.  Remove from heat.  

To assemble, take your tortilla and spread with some good salsa.  Then, place your eggs on top of that and top it off with some sliced avocado and cilantro.  Roll it up and enjoy.  The avocado is a MUFA, monounsaturated fatty acid.  Some other rich sources include olive oil, nuts, seeds and dark chocolate.  Of course these also are higher calorie so don't go overboard.
.
Today's tip is to try to add MUFA's, like avocado into your diet each day.  If you haven't tried avocado , it really is good.  

Blessings, 

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment