Thursday, September 23, 2010

Toasted Cheese Sandwiches...Yum


Last night was one of those I don't really feel like cooking nights.  So, when I feel like this I usually do something simple like soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  The one I have pictured above is the adult version. It is 100% whole wheat bread stuffed with mozzarella, cheddar, and swiss cheeses.  Also, fresh spinach, garden tomatoes and roasted red peppers. After I stuffed it, I dipped it into beaten eggs and then grilled it on the stove top in a little extra virgin olive oil. Think -- french toast meets toasted cheese.  It was so yummy.  I also made a pot of homemade chicken soup with it.

The kids version was the same omitting the tomatoes and roasted peppers, but I kept the spinach... they do need some nutrition, right?

So you can make this very easily, just use whole grain bread. That white stuff may taste good, but has no nutritional value at all.  I guess you could use the white wheat, but give the whole wheat a try, it really is good.  Oh and please please check the ingredients to make sure there is no high fructose corn syrup in the bread !! 
Also, use REAL CHEESE.  That stuff in the plastic package is NOT cheese.  It really does make a difference to use real ingredients.  Then use whatever you like, peppers, olives, artichokes, tomatoes, basil...the combinations are endless. (You can even do this with peanut butter and banana -yum)

So, today's tip is to try 100 % whole wheat bread if you already aren't. It has so much more fiber and vitamins than the other stuff, so go ahead give it a try.

Blessings,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment