Monday, September 24, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

I am a terrible gardener.  

I totally kill any plants that I come into contact with.  I don't know why.  I just do.  So this summer I was determined to stick with my small garden of butternut and spaghetti squash.  I weeded like crazy and watered and really kept on top of things... until the end of summer when I just gave up and let it go.  

But nevertheless, I still harvested an abundance of squash!

This was only 1/2.. I gave some away and used a bunch too!
The only problem with spaghetti squash, which is what I have the most of, is what to do with it all?

It is great just cooked up with a little butter and brown sugar... or like pasta with marinara sauce.  But there is only so much of that one could eat.  So, I investigated online and found that I could make soup with it.  

So, I modified the recipe I found and made this...

Creamy spaghetti squash soup!
I put the squash in the microwave cut in half in baking dish with a little water and cooked for 15 minutes.

I sauted some onion and garlic in a little olive oil.  When soft I added the squash to the pot and vegetable stock and blended with my boat motor..  a handheld stand blender.  You can transfer into a blender.  BE CAREFUL WITH HOT INGREDIENTS.  Season with salt and pepper and that is it!

This is a great vegetarian and even vegan soup.  It is creamy without any cream so it is low calorie and packed with vitamins!

Try something different.  I have been eating spaghetti squash for many years and now I have something new to add to my menu!!  This is simplicity at its best.

Blessings, 

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment